COMMMITTEE ON PREPARATION FOR MINISTRY
GUIDANCE FOR CANDIDATES COMPOSING THEIR
STATEMENT OF FAITH
The purpose of this exercise undertaken during the final assessment at the end of candidacy is for candidates to write a statement of their faith, a manifesto of their own beliefs in their own words. Before submitting one’s statement of faith in advance of the consultation at which a candidate hopes to be certified ready to accept a call, the candidate may wish to consult his or her CPM liaison for feedback before considering a draft to be final. In the case of those being examined for ordination by Monmouth Presbytery, the final version of the statement of faith will be distributed with the Presbytery docket.
Be guided by the following when preparing your statement of faith:
- The statement of faith may not exceed one typed page. It may be single spaced, but please do not use a font smaller than 10 pitch.
- It should be sensitive to the use of inclusive language.
- The statement of faith should be an original expression of the candidate’s beliefs concerning each of the following:
- Jesus Christ
- The Holy Spirit
- The Lord’s Supper
- The authority of Scripture
- Nature and mission of the Church
- Sin and forgiveness
Source: Standing Rules, §6310 (Approved by CPM January 8, 2019; updated February 2008; superseded by the Administrative Manual adopted February 2016)
Approved by CPM January 8, 2019
Reviewed and endorsed by Mission Council January 10, 2019