The Director of Music Ministries/Organist provides musical and spiritual leadership for
the worship of God at the Presbyterian Church at Shrewsbury (PCAS). This is a part
time position, estimated at 20 hours per week; salary is negotiable. This individual will
be accountable to the Session and will work directly with the Pastor in planning and
implementing the music ministries of the church.
- Serve as coordinator of all music ministries.
- Play for all traditional services of worship, including any special services.
- Play for weddings and funerals as needed and as schedule permits. Additional compensation is provided and will be outlined in a fee schedule.
- Select music for worship in collaboration with the Pastor
- Conduct weekly rehearsals of the adult Chancel Choir. This includes: directing, accompanying, training singers in vocal technique, teaching basic music skills, and arranging for prayer at beginning and end of rehearsals.
- Accompany youth choir, bell choir, and guest soloists/instrumentalists, as needed.
- Recruit members for the choirs and encourage the congregation to participate in music ministries.
- Assist in securing services of substitute organists, instrumentalists and soloists when needed.
- Prepare annual budget request for musical instruments,new music for all choirs, guest soloists/instrumentalists, and needed supplies.
- Maintain music library including new purchases, with the assistance of the church’s music librarian.
- Oversee all maintenance and repairs of the musical instruments.
- Participate in Worship Committee meetings as an ex-officio member.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Perform other duties related to the music ministries as deemed appropriate by the Pastor and Session.
- Knowledge of music appropriate for Presbyterian worship.
- Have an understanding of the long term maintenance of the church’s musical instruments.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in music with three to five years of experience as a church musician is preferred.
- Be enthusiastic and have a desire to glorify God through music.
Please send resume to:
Presbyterian Church at Shrewsbury
c/o Director of Music Ministries/Organist Search Committee
352 Sycamore Avenue
Shrewsbury, NJ 07702-4599