The Presbyterian Hunger Program celebrates the faithful work of Presbyterians responding to God’s call to alleviate hunger and end its causes. Your congregation is a HUNGER ACTION CONGREGATION if you are doing an activity in one or more of these areas. And if your ministry includes all of them, you can be a CERTIFIED HUNGER ACTION CONGREGATION.
- HUNGER ALLEVIATION: providing and/or sharing food to those in need.
- DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCE: addressing the root causes of hunger and poverty through sustainable and equitable development.
- HUNGER EDUCATION: learning about systemic causes of hunger, leading towards faithful action
- LIFESTYLE INTEGRITY: adopting sustainable personal and congregational lifestyles to restore justice and protect all of God’s creation.
- CORPORATE AND PUBLIC POLICY WITNESS: advocating and campaigning for changes in policies and practices to end hunger, promote self-development, and care for creation.
- WORSHIP: incorporating prayer, education, and preaching about hunger and its causes in worship.
The instructions and online Hunger Action Congregation form are here. The process is super-easy! If you need any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact Rev. Phyllis Zoon, our Hunger Action Advocate at 201-910-7047.
Hunger Action Congregations in Monmouth Presbytery (with the 3 certified HACs marked *)
• First Presbyterian Church of Matawan, NJ
• The First Presbyterian Church of Cranbury, NJ*
• Presbyterian Church Lakehurst, NJ
• The Presbyterian Church of Toms River, NJ
• Plumsted Presbyterian Church, New Egypt, NJ*
• Forked River Presbyterian Church, Forked River, NJ
• Point Pleasant Presbyterian Church, Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
• United Presbyterian Church of Millstone , Millstone Twp., NJ
• First Presbyterian Church, Belmar, NJ*
• First Presbyterian Church, South Amboy, NJ