The time is drawing closer for Seminary for a Day at Union Presbyterian Seminary! On Saturday, September 23, 2017, you will have the opportunity to listen to two keynote addresses, attend two workshops led by UPSem professors, and enjoy a delicious lunch on our beautiful campus in Richmond. All of this costs only $25, including the lunch! It’s a great way to meet up with old friends, make some new ones, and enrich your faith as you learn about some of the areas of interest of our excellent faculty.
The day begins with registration at 8:30 a.m. The morning keynote, by UPSem professor Richard W. Voelz, is entitled: Moving the “Conversation” Forward: Preacher, Congregation, and Public in Divided Times, begins at 9 a.m. This keynote address will explore how over the past generation, the metaphor of “conversation” has emerged in preaching, and how it might serve us going forward.
Then you may attend one of six workshops in the morning:
- Looking for Truth? Space Matters, with UPSem president Brian Blount
- Black Sacred Rhetoric: Developing Our Ethical Voices about Engaging Concerns and Difficult Problems in Society, with Prof Katie Geneva Cannon
- Parables of Jesus: Stories to Encourage and Challenge, with Prof. John Carroll
- Preaching with the Spirituals, with Dr. Luke Powery of Duke Divinity School
- Should Seminarians Study Islam? World Religions and Theological Education, with Prof. Stan Skreslet
- Drama, Intimacy, and Vulnerability: Spiritual Challenges of Digital Culture, with Prof. Karen-Marie Yust
Following the lunch break, there are six more workshops, from which you may choose one to attend:
- Praying the Lord’s Prayer with Theologians, with Prof. Dawn DeVries
- Who is Our Neighbor? Wisdom from the Desert Mothers and Fathers, with Prof. Christine Luckritz Marquis
Tiptoeing on Eggshells? Navigating our Way in Ideologically Diverse Faith Communities, with Prof. Ken McFayden
- Polity Matters for Mission and Ministry, with H. Carson Rhyne
- Musical Resources for Pastoral Care Ministry, with Prof. Carol Schweitzer
- Freedom and Form in Christian Worship: Discerning the Balance for Your Congregation, with Prof. Richard Voelz
The day concludes at 4 p.m. following a keynote address and challenge by Dr. Luke Powery, entitled: The Gift of Tears. This keynote will engage Jeremiah and Jesus to explore the role of weeping as a vital Christian practice today.
We hope you’ll join us and bring others from your congregation for an uplifting, interesting, and joyful day at Seminary for a Day. Please share this email with those who may be interested.
To register and choose your workshops and lunch preference, click here. See you in September!