Interim Pastor Position Description
Collingswood Presbyterian Church
If interested please forward PIF by April 17th to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Debby Brincivalli, Executive Presbyter – West Jersey Presbytery 856-547-5100
Collingswood Presbyterian Church Job Description – Interim Pastor (24 hour/week Part Time) Collingswood Presbyterian Church, located in Collingswood, NJ, is seeking a part time Interim Pastor as our pastor of 10 years has resigned in good standing to accept a position in the Synod of the Lakes and Prairies. Collingswood Presbyterian Church is a church that witnesses to the community and the world by sharing and demonstrating our relationship with Christ. We are a church that encourages all people to know God’s great love revealed in Jesus Christ. We faithfully listen for God’s will in our lives and our community. At Collingswood Presbyterian we seek to become a community of God that is an open, inviting, caring family of faith where all are embraced, accepted, and loved. Collingswood Presbyterian Church is looking to reafﬁrm its mission during this opportunity of transition, to increase membership, and to work within a balanced budget. Collingswood Presbyterian Church has two active and coordinating boards – Session and Board of Deacons. Session also maintains multiple committees.
The Interim Pastor performs as the moderator of the Session and as an advisor to the Board of Deacons. Additionally, the Interim Pastor will be available to advise the committees reporting to Session. Collingswood Presbyterian Church Interim Pastor is responsible for providing worship leadership, helping the congregation negotiate the transition from the previous pastor, and supporting the congregation as we identify priorities as well as goals for future growth. Additionally, we ask the Interim Pastor to provide pastoral care as needed and to prepare lay leaders to assist where appropriate, to supervise and coordinate staff along with the support of the personnel committee and moderate and guide church leadership, as well as some administrative and transitional duties exploring the 5 development tasks.
Speciﬁc duties include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Develop and lead worship services as scheduled by Session
- Deliver sermons that are thought-provoking and inspirational
- Administer the sacrament of communion monthly as scheduled
- Perform baptisms, funerals and weddings of church members as requested
- Facilitate elders and deacons in sharing in the responsibility with you in illness related visitation to those who are hospitalized, homebound, and in nursing or rehabilitation facilities.
- Facilitate elder and deacon visitation schedule. Assist when needed.
- Quarterly communion to those members that are homebound and ill.
Staff Supervision and Coordination
- Coordinate with the Music Director as it relates to coordination of music for the Worship Service
- Coordinate with the Christian Educator
- Supervise and coordinate with the administrative assistant
- Maintain predetermined ofﬁce hours and perform administrative responsibilities as necessary (Flexible on # days per week and will be determined by candidate and session).
Church Leadership Coordination
- Moderate Session for monthly meetings and emergency meetings as needed
- Advise the Board of Deacons, as needed Other Duties
- Complete duties deﬁned by Presbytery to facilitate the pastoral transition process including the ﬁve developmental tasks of interim ministry including: coming to terms with history, discovering a new identity, shift of power/leadership changes, rethinking denominational linkages, and commitment to new leadership and to a new future
- As evidenced by assisting to prepare the Mission Study
- Maintain conformance with requirements of Presbytery
- Occasionally and brieﬂy represent the church at community outreach: Kaleidoscope Kids, Vacation Bible School.
Approximate 24 Hour per Week Breakdown:
8-10 hours Worship leadership: Preparation and Sunday service
10-12 hours Ofﬁce Hours – Includes: Staff Supervision and Coordination. Weekly staff meetings of CE and Admin. Weekly music meeting – to be reestablished (Sun. mtg) Pastoral Care: can be included in ofﬁce hours.
.75 hours Church Leadership: Attend Session Meetings to equal 3 hrs/month
3 hours Pastoral Transition:
Collingswood Presbyterian Church
30 Fern Ave.
Collingswood, NJ 08108 856-854-4523
William Ostrem, Clerk of Session