The Stated Meeting of the Presbytery of Monmouth, held at the United Presbyterian Church of Yardville, New Jersey, on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at 7:00 p.m., was convened with prayer offered by the Vice-Moderator, the Rev. Jean Pinto.
Worship and Service of Installation of the Rev. Jean Pinto as Moderator and Elder Bill Faust as Vice-Moderator was performed by Rev. Terry Chapman, Elder Terry Wagner and Rev. Rob Carter.
The Rev. Terry Chapman preached, “Now Is Our Time,” and led the presbytery in worship.
Report of the Regional Presbyter:
The Rev. Wendy Bailey reported on the resignation of Emily Jones, Curator of the Genesis Center, to take on full-time employment. Rev. Bailey thanked Emily for her faithful and very effective service and presented her a gift from the Presbytery.
Rev. Bailey reported that the Sandy Recovery Team, a commission of Monmouth Presbytery, has decided to call the Rev. Merideth Mueller to a one-year, half-time position as the Director of Advocacy for Long-Term Recovery, effective September 1, 2014. She will be working in advocacy around the many issues connected with disaster recovery, and on behalf of the people of the State of New Jersey who are most marginalized.
Report of Committee on Ministry:
Elder Dan Raisch reported:
The Committee reports the following to Presbytery, based on actions taken at the stated Committee meeting of May 6, 2014:
- Recommend that Sessions requesting Teaching Elders to serve on-call for pastoral care will pay some reasonable level of compensation, including mileage and expenses on a per call basis, as agreed upon by the Session and minister upon initiation of the relationship.
- That the Committee recommends that Presbytery concur with the Rev. Dr. David M. Joynt and the congregation of the Presbyterian Church of Toms River in their request to dissolve the pastoral ties between them, effective August 1, 2014. (David’s last day at PCTR will be July 4, 2014, followed by accrued 2014 vacation time.) Moved and carried.
- That the Committee recommends that Presbytery approve the transfer of Rev. Dr. David M. Joynt to the Presbytery of Grand Canyon upon request by that Presbytery in order to facilitate his acceptance of a call to serve as Senior Pastor of Valley Presbyterian Church, Paradise Valley, AZ, effective September 1, 2014. Moved and carried.
- That the Committee recommends that Presbytery concur with the Rev. Greg Pike and the congregation of the United Presbyterian Church of Millstone in their request to dissolve the pastoral ties between them, effective July 1, 2014. Moved and carried.
- That the Committee recommends that Presbytery confer on Rev. Greg Pike the status of Honorably Retired, effective July 1, 2014. Moved and carried.
- Move that the presbytery Rev. NamJoong Kim, a member in good standing of the Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PCRK), to administer the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper at the Korean Church of New Jersey (Holmdel) upon invitation of the Elders during the balance of 2014. Moved and carried.
Report of the Trustees: Rev. Theresa Swenson provided more information about costs associated with remediation of excessive soil contamination at the Principe de Paz church in Cliffwood Beach. Early estimates are for costs in excess of $118,000.
It was moved and carried to approve the use of the Mission Fund monies to cover the expense.
Report of the Regional Presbyter Committee:
The Rev. Myrlene Hamilton reported on the committee’s recommendation that the Rev. Wendy Bailey be called for a second term, beginning January 1, 2015. It was moved and carried.