Ideas for Marketing a Monthly Food Drive
Thanks to Pat Plant, Hunger Action Advocate in San Jose Presbytery for sharing this! And to Barbara Howell from Middle Tennessee for the “Paper Plate Campaign” ideas.
- Develop a ‘marketing plan’ with a repeating slogan and use it on news releases, signs, etc (Support Sacred Heart’s (or whatever name of the pantry) Effort to End Hunger, Help End Hunger in our Community, Hunger Hurts – help wipe it out!, etc.)
- Make a stirring “moment for Mission” announcement during worship (or do a short skit about generosity, the need, action rather than in-action); invite the pantry manager to speak to the congregation.
- Make a poster in a often seen place about the need for food for your pantry (If the cupboards are bare, a photo of that makes the point that there needs to be much more donated)
- Mention in your newsletter and e-newsletter and bulletin
- Make buttons (or hats, or signs, or T shirts) sporting your message and worn by people who can also encourage others
- Stage a mini-event during fellowship hour after worship. Have no snacks or coffee (You might add signs that say something like “This is what hunger feels like”) and instead have people bring in food for others using perhaps, the following quotes (or others – there are loads of them!) from the Bible to encourage your blessed members: